Genetic tests are needed for many purposes:
- To rule out or confirm a particular genetic condition based on evident physical signs and symptoms. For example, Fragile X syndrome, cystic fibrosis, Marfan syndrome, etc.
- To determine the presence of genetic disorders in the fetus.
- To assess individuals with a family history of genetic diseases and begin prompt treatment if required.
- To plan targeted gene therapies in conditions like cancer.
- To seek genetic evidence in lawsuits such as paternity cases or crimes like rape.